I have always been intersted in data analysis techniques and calibrations.
In addition, I have also become experienced in the construction of data
analysis pipelines. This capability has been useful not only in
calibration efforts, but also in other scientific activities which involve
analyzing large data sets.
I am currently the PI of an AISRP project to make
IUE times series
observations more accessible. The browser can be accessed here.
I am also currently involved in a project to correct the large, systematic
errors in IUE NEWSIPS (and INES) high dispersion extracted spectra.
From 1995 through 1997, I was a heavily involved with the, now defunct,
ADF at Goddard, which was part of the
Science Data Operations Office. During that time, I was a UV/Optical
Acquisition Scientist, and instrumental in developing several UV
browsers, and supporting material, much of which is now available at
MAST at STScI.
As an acquisition scientist, I also performed science verification
activities which resulted in the discovery of several problems with the
IUE Final Archive (NEWSIPS) data. These are summarized in a paper
which was presented at the conference Ultraviolet Astrophysics
Beyond the IUE Final Archive held in Seville in 1997
The problems with the low resolution NEWSIPS IUE data can be largely
corrected. The corrections algorithms are described in a the preprint
A recalibration of
IUE NEWSIPS low dispersion data by Massa and Fitzpatrick.
Some relevant publications:
- ``Vector Space Methods of Photometric Analysis: Applications to O
Stars and Interstellar Reddening'', D. Massa & C.F. Lillie 1978,
ApJ, 221, 833
- ``Vector Space Methods of Photometric Analysis. II. Refinement of the
MK Grid for B Stars'', D. Massa 1980,
AJ, 85, 1644
- ``Vector Space Methods of Photometric Analysis. III. The Two
Components of Ultraviolet Extinction'', D. Massa 1980,
AJ, 85, 1651
- ``Peculiar UV Interstellar Extinction'', D. Massa, B.D. Savage, &
E.L. Fitzpatrick 1983,
ApJ, 266, 662
- ``The UV Extinction Toward 5 Open Clusters and the Accuracy of
IUE Extinction Measurements'', D. Massa & E.L. Fitzpatrick 1986,
ApJS, 60, 305
- ``An Instrument for Optimizing a Space borne Interferometer:
Applications to Calibrating the Cepheid Distance Scale'', D. Massa & A.S.
AJ, 93, 760
- ``Expected Angular Separations of Late-Type Supergiant + B Star
Binaries in the Milky Way and LMC'', D. Massa & A.S. Endal 1987,
AJ, 93, 579
- ``The Variability of UV Extinction-Curve Shapes and Its Impact Upon
Dereddened UV Energy Distributions'', D. Massa 1987,
AJ, 94, 1675
- ``Calibration of the Far Infrared Absolute Spectrophotometer (FIRAS)
on the Cosmic Background Explorer (COBE)'' D.J. Fixen, ... D.
Massa, ... 1994
ApJ, 420, 457
- ``A Recalibration of IUE NEWSIPS Low-Dispersion Data'', Massa, D.,
Fitzpatrick, E.L. 2000 ApJS, 126, 517
- ``On-Orbit Performance of the Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer
Satellite'', Sahnow, D.J., Moos, H.W., Ake, T.B., Andersen, J., Andersson,
B.-G., Andre, M., Artis, D., Berman, A.F., Blair, W.P., Brownsberger, K.R.,
Calvani, H.M., Chayer, P., Conard, S.J., Feldman, P.D., Friedman, S.D.,
Fullerton, A.W., Gaines, G.A., Gawne, W.C., Green, J.C., Gummin, M.A.,
Jennings, T.B., Joyce, J.B., Kaiser, M.E., Kruk, J.W., Lindler, D.J.,
Massa, D., Murphy, E.M., Oegerle, W.R., Ohl, R.G., Roberts, B.A.,
Romelfanger, M.L., Roth, K.C., Sankrit, R., Sembach, K.R., Shelton, R.L.,
Siegmund, O.H.W., Silva, C.J., Sonneborn, G., Vaclavik, S.R., Weaver, H.A.,
Wilkinson, E. 2000 ApJ, 538, L7